Vine and Swirl Brushes in Photoshop
● Download and install these brushes to spice up your work.
✓ Pen Tool✓ Skew✓ Distort✓ Perspective
• This tutorial is part of the Photoshop Portrait Project.
Other People's Work:
Here are examples of work inspired by this tutorial.
Step #1: Open Your Project in Photoshop ~
● If you are working on the
in Photoshop …
● OR, if you are working on the
open that ...
… (Remember: all these tutorials are intended to be
applied to YOUR PROJECT) …
Step #2: Make a New Layer ~
✗ Go to: Layer > New > Layer …
✗ … or hit the keyboard shortcut: Cmd (⌘)+ Shift (⇧) +N …
✗ … and hit OK.
Step #3: Drag the Layer Below ~
✗ Drag the new layer below your existing layers:
Step #4: Download These PhotoShop Brushes ~
✗ Right-Click this => Vines-and-Swirl-Brushes and hit "Save Link as …"
✗ … and save the file to your Destop.
Step #5: Expand ~
✗ Go to your Desktop expand the file it by Double-Clicking it (the file is "zipped").
Step #6: Brushes ~
✗ Now, click the Brush Tool or hit the keybord shortcut letter (B) …
✗ …click the Brush Preset Picker in the Menu Bar …
✗ … click on the little in the upper right and click on Load Brushes.
✗ Find the EXPANDED file and install it …
Step #7: Scroll Lower Brushes ~
✗ Scroll to bottom of the brushes and pick one:
Step #8: Adjust the Brush ~
✗ You may need to raise or lower the Brush Size (if necessary) …
✗ … change the color (if necessary) …
✗ … and paint.
Step #9: Make ANOTHER New Layer ~
✗ Create another New Layer by hitting Cmd(⌘)+Shift+N …
✗ … paint another shape with the brush, then hit: Cmd (⌘)+T and rotate.
Step #10: Blending Mode ~
✗ Scroll through the Blending Modes and find one you like …
✗ Try Multiply, Screen or Overlay or whatever you like best …
✗ If you see other blending modes you like as you're scrolling down, don't be afraid to experiment.
✗ Blending Modes are awesome!
Last Step: Save and Attach ~
✗ Save your work as - FIRST_NAME_LAST_NAME_PROJECT_NAME.ai]
✗ Attach it!
• ALWAYS save your projects using the following naming convention:
• DO NOT name your project any other way - Improperly named projects will not receive credit and you will be sad.
• NEVER leave your work on the desktop or depend on a flash drive - instead, save your work in a folder you can find later - preferably on a virtual drive where it can be backed up.