Radial Shapes in Illustrator
● This is a great tutorial for drawing concentric circles on the computer.
● It introduces the concept of applying brush strokes.
✓ Rotate Tool✓ Duplicate a Shape✓ Brushes✓ Ellipse Tool
Other People's Work:
Here are examples of work inspired by this tutorial.
Step #1: Open Illustrator ~
✓ Open YOUR PROJECT in Illustrator …
● If you are working on the
CD Cover Project open that ...
● OR, if you are working on the
Picture Perfect Project
open that ...
… (Remember: all these tutorials are intended to be
applied to YOUR PROJECT) …
✓ Make a New Layer and drag it below the other layers …
Step #2: Colors ~
✓ Set the Fill Color to and leave the stroke.
Step #3: Ellipse Tool ~
✓ Get the Ellipse Tool or hit the keyboard shortcut letter (L) …
✓ … and draw a small circle on your composition.
Step #4: Set the Rotation Point ~
✓ Select the Rotate Tool or it the keyboard shortcut letter (r) …
✓ … and set your pivot point a little below your Ellipse.
✓ This is the point around which you will rotate your Ellipse.
Step #5: Duplicate the Ellipse ~
✓ Hover over the line with the Rotate Tool and hold Alt (⌥)/Option key - notice the cursor changes …
✓ … and drag the ellipse over a little:
Step #6: Duplicate the Circles ~
✓ Hit the keyboard shortcut: Cmd(⌘)+D to repeat the last step over and over until you have a "circle of circles".
Step #7: Brush the Paths ~
✓ Click Brushes …
✓ … and click the Brush Libraires Menu.
✓ Here is the same image with the Artistic Ink brush applied to the paths:
Step #8: Blending Modes ~
✓ Click Transparency or go to: Window > Transparency …
✓ … and change the Blending Mode until you get something you like.
✓ Also, experiment with lowering the Transparency (if necessary …)
Step #9: Colors and Effects ~
✓ Hit the keyboard shortcut: Cmd(⌘)+A and select all your shapes, change the colors of the stroke and fill to your preferred colors.
Step #10: Drop Shadow ~
✓ Also, go to: Effect > Stylize > Drop Shadow and add any other effects you too …
✓ Also, change the colors of the stroke and fill. Try different stuff!
Last Step: Save and Attach ~
✓ Save your work as - FIRST_NAME_LAST_NAME_PROJECT_NAME.ai]
✓ Attach it!
• ALWAYS save your projects using the following naming convention:
• DO NOT name your project any other way - Improperly named projects will not receive credit and you will be sad.
• NEVER leave your work on the desktop or depend on a flash drive - instead, save your work in a folder you can find later - preferably on a virtual drive where it can be backed up.