Text, Gradients and Stroke in Illustrator
● Create some Text your can Use in your Work, Outline it, add a Gradient Fill and Stroke.
● Maybe for your Tagline, "Call-to-Action" or Promotional Copy on your current project - Available Now! - Buy Today! - Sale - Win - Free - Offer Expires - Hurry - Best Value - Free Shipping - Reply Today - Click Here.
✓ Create Outlines✓ Text Tool✓ Stroke✓ Warp✓ Effects
Other People's Work:
Here are examples of work inspired by this tutorial.
Step #1: Open Your Project in Illustrator ~
✓ Open YOUR CURRENT PROJECT in Illustrator …
… if it's the CD Cover, open it …
… if you're working on the
Movie Poster Project,
open that …
… (Remember: all these tutorials are intended to be applied to YOUR PROJECT) …
✓ … whatever project you're working on, create a New Layer, and lock your other layers.
Step #2: Type Something ~
✓ Get the Type Tool or hit the keyboard shortcut letter (t) …
✓ … draw a box and type something you can USE IN YOUR PROJECT!
✓ If you're working on a the Comic Book Project, you could use your Title or Tagline.
✓ If you're working on your Cereal Box Project, or your Package Redesign Project, type the tagline of your product.
✓ Or the Movie Poster Project, you could try to Terrorize or Horrify your customers!
✓ Whatever you're working on type something you can use in your work!
✓ If you really can't think of anything to type, try writing a Call to Action! like these: https://www.netatlantic.com/blog/2012/04/20-effective-call-to-action-cta-phrases/
Step #3: Set your Font Type and Size ~
✓ After you draw a box …
✓ … and type some text you can use in your project …
✓ … then go to http://www.dafont.com/ and search for a font that fits your project theme:
• If you want something that looks like Money, search for that. Get it?
Step #4: Direct Selection Tool ~
✓ Get the Selection Tool or hit the keyboard shortcut letter (v) …
✓ … go to: Type > Create Outlines …
✓ … or hit the keyboard shortcut:
✓ … but however you do it, be sure to ALWAYS create outlines of your text.
Step #5: Gradient Text ~
✓ Now click the Gradient icon or hit the keyboard shortcut: Cmd(⌘)+F9 and select Linear.
✓ Set both sides of the gradient colors by clicking on the sliders.
✓ Adjust the angle of your gradient here (if necessary).
✓ … try different colors, settings and other options. Experiment! Try different stuff!
Step #6: Stroke the Text ~
✓ Now, with the text selected …
✓ … click on the Stroke color in the top menu bar and select a color.
Step #7: Stroke Weight ~
✓ Raise the stroke size to 4 or 6 pixels (or bigger):
Step #8: Align the Stroke ~
✓ Now, click the word Stroke on the menu bar …
✓ … and click "Align Stroke to Outside".
Step #9: Warp ~
✓ Then go to: Effect > Warp > Arc …
✓ … and modify the settings to your liking.
Step #10: Drop Shadow ~
✓ Then go to: Effect > Stylize > Drop Shadow …
✓ … and apply Drop Shadow to the text.
If you're working on the Heros! Project ~
✓ … go to: File > Save for Web … and change the document format to png-24 …
✓ … then insert your image into your PowerPoint and add some animation to it!
Last Step: Save and Attach ~
✓ Otherwise, save your work as - FIRST_NAME_LAST_NAME_PROJECT_NAME.ai
✓ Attach it!
• ALWAYS save your projects using the following naming convention:
• DO NOT name your project any other way - Improperly named projects will not receive credit and you will be sad.
• NEVER leave your work on the desktop or depend on a flash drive - instead, save your work in a folder you can find later - preferably on a virtual drive where it can be backed up.
Other Resources: http://horror.about.com/od/horrortoppicklists/a/50besttaglines.htm