Map Symbols in Illustrator
● Open a batch of Symbols and save them in Illustrator.
● Then apply them to your work.
✓ Saving Symbols✓ Blending Modes✓ Opacity
• This tutorial is used in the Free Trade Project.
Other People's Work:
Here are examples of work inspired by this tutorial.
Step #1: Open Symbols in Illustrator ~
✓ Right-Click this file: Map-symbols and open it in Illustrator …
✓ … then open the Symbols panel to view your new symbols.
Step #2: Symbols Libraries Menu ~
✓ Click on the Symbols Libraries Menu …
✓ … and save the Symbols as your name or whatever.
Step #2: Open your work in Illustrator ~
✓ Then open YOUR PROJECT in Illustrator …
✓ … create a New Layer, lock your others.
Step #3: Use your New Symbols ~
✓ Locate the Symbols you saved by clicking on the Symbol Libraries Menu again, go down to User Defined - and open the custom symbols you created.
✓ Then drag a symbol onto the artboard onto your New Layer.
Step #4: Blending Mode ~
✓ Click Transparency or go to: Window > Transparency …
✓ … and change the Blending Mode until you get something you like.
✓ Also, experiment with lowering the Transparency (if necessary …)
Last Step: Save Your Project & Attach ~
✓ Go to: File > Save as … and save your work as an .ai document.
• ALWAYS save your projects using the following naming convention:
• DO NOT name your project any other way - Improperly named projects will not receive credit and you will be sad.
• NEVER leave your work on the desktop or depend on a flash drive - instead, save your work in a folder you can find later - preferably on a virtual drive where it can be backed up.
✓ SAVE YOUR WORK FREQUENTLY! No excuses for missing or lost work! Attach the .ai file and keep working …