Create a Map in Illustrator
● Illustrator has a "template" feature designed for tracing over drawings and backgrounds.
● "Template" layers automatically lock the layer and reduces the transparency by 50 percent so you can see what you're doing.
✓ Template Layers in Illustrator ✓ Transparency✓ Stroke vs. Fill
• This tutorial is part of a series:
● 153-map-template-ai.htm ● 150-road-maps-ai.htm ● 274-coastline-brush-ai.htm
● 180-image-trace-symbols-ai.htm ● 158_border_Ps.htm ● 320-map-text-ai.htm
• This tutorial is part of the What in the World? Project.
Other People's Work:
Here are examples of work inspired by this tutorial.
Step #1: Find an Image ~
✓ Find a map of the country you choose and copy it.
Step #2: Open Illustrator ~
✓ Open a new Web Document in Illustrator approximately 800 x 600 is usually fine, the size is not important right now …
✓ … and paste the image.
Step #3: Free Transform Tool ~
✓ Get the Free Transform Tool or hit the keyboard shortcut letter (e) …
✓ … and, holding adjust the image to fit.
Step #4: Template ~
✓ Now, click the drop down menu in the upper corner of the Layers Palette and select Template …
✗ Changing a layer to a "Template" layer reduces the Transparency to 50% so you can see what you're doing, turns the eye in to the template icon and locks the layer .
Step #5: New Layer ~
✓ Create a New Layer above your template layer.
Step #6: Colors ~
✓ Set the Stroke to Black and the Fill to whatever you want.
Step #7: Pencil Tool ~
✓ Double-Click on the Pencil Tool to open the dialogue box …
✓ … check all three Options …
✓ … and begin tracing around the edge.
Step #8: Again ~
✓ Make ANOTHER new layer and lock everything else …
✓ … and draw ANOTHER smaller shape inside.
Step #9: Darken the Color ~
✓ Set Stroke to OFF and darken the Fill.
Step #10: Feather ~
✓ Now go to: Effect > Stylize > Feather and select Preview …
✓ … feather the selection as much as you like.
Step #11: One More ~
✓ Make ONE MORE small shape, change the Fill to brown and feather again.
Last Step: Save and Attach ~
✓ Save your work as - FIRST_NAME_LAST_NAME_PROJECT_NAME.ai]
✓ Attach it!
• ALWAYS save your projects using the following naming convention:
• DO NOT name your project any other way - Improperly named projects will not receive credit and you will be sad.
• NEVER leave your work on the desktop or depend on a flash drive - instead, save your work in a folder you can find later - preferably on a virtual drive where it can be backed up.