Glowing Text in Flash
● In this tutorial you will be making text whose shadow appears to move in a circle.
● This tutorial is an introduction to Filters and Movie Clips.
✓ Filters in Flash✓ Movie Clips✓ Text in Flash
• This tutorial is part of the Aesop's Fables Project.
Other People's Work:
Here are examples of work inspired by this tutorial.
Step #1: Open your Project in Flash ~
✗ Click on some text you already have …
✗ … or get the Text Tool and type the text you can use in your project, like: Enter or Click Here or Play or anything.
Step #2: Embed the Font ~
✗ When you have everything looking the way you want it, hit Embed …
✗ … and select All:
Step #3: Convert to Movie Clip ~
✗ With the text selected, hit F8 (or Right-Click and select: ) and make a Movie Clip.
Step #4: Double-Click the Movie Clip ~
✗ Double-Click on the Movie Clip - now you are working INSIDE the Movie Clip.
Now you are working INSIDE the Movie Clip.
✗ Remember: A Movie Clip is a movie WITHIN a movie.
Step #6: Add Filters to the Text ~
✗ Go to Filters …
✗ Click the Add Filters icon at the bottom.
✗ Add Glow filter …
Step #7: Change the Glow ~
✗ Select a different color from the color picker - something opposite the text color.
✗ Raise the filter quality and strengh.
✗ Also raise the blur size.
Step #8: Go out about 15 Frames ~
✗ Go out about 15 frames, and Right-Click on Frame 15 approximately a "Insert Keyframe" …
✗ … or you can just hit F6
Step #9: Create Classic Tween ~
✗ Right-Click somewhere in between the 2 keyframes and select Create Classic Tween.
✗ Notice the little blue arrow appears between the two frames - that's called a Classic Motion Tween.
Step #10: Lower the Glow on the Last Frame ~
✗ Click on the last Frame …
✗ … and lower the Glow strength to zero on the last frame …
Step #11: Copy Frame #1 ~
✗ Now go back to Frame 1 - Right-Click and select Copy Frames …
✗ … click on Frame 30 (or twice the distance from Frame 1) …
✗ … Right-Click and Paste Frames.
✗ Lastly, Right-Click between frame 15 and 30, and select Create Classic Tween.
✗ Hit the keyboard shortcut Cmd (⌘) +Enter to check it!
Last Step: Save and View your work ~
✗ View your work by hitting the keyboard shortcut: Cmd(⌘)+Enter
✗ Save your work as - FIRST_NAME_LAST_NAME_PROJECT_NAME.fla]
• ALWAYS save your projects using the following naming convention:
• DO NOT name your project any other way - Improperly named projects will not receive credit and you will be sad.
• NEVER leave your work on the desktop or depend on a flash drive - instead, save your work in a folder you can find later - preferably on a virtual drive where it can be backed up.
Other Resources: http://www.freeflash.co.in/flashtext/