Road Maps in Illustrator
● Create a brush that looks like a road and apply the brush to a stroke using the Pencil Tool.
✓ This Tutorial is Not Finished yet! ✓ Free Transform Tool ✓ Distort ✓ Manipulate Lines
• This tutorial is part of a series:
● 153-map-template-ai.htm ● 150-road-maps-ai.htm ● 274-coastline-brush-ai.htm
● 180-image-trace-symbols-ai.htm ● 158_border_Ps.htm ● 320-map-text-ai.htm
• This tutorial is part of the What in the World? Project.
Other People's Work:
Here are examples of work inspired by this tutorial.
Step #1: Open your Project in Illustrator ~
✓ Open YOUR MAP in Illustrator from this tutorial …
… (Remember: all these tutorials are intended to be
applied to YOUR PROJECT) …
✓ … make a New Layer and lock your other layers.
Step #2: Line Tool ~
✓ Get the Line Segment Tool or hit the keyboard shortcut (\) …
✓ … and, holding Shift to keep it straight, draw a short line outside your design somewhere.
Step #3: Zoom In ~
✓ If necessary, get the Zoom Tool or hit the keyboard shortcut (z) …
✓ … and draw a square around the object to zoom in on that specific part.
Step #4: Duplicate the Line ~
✓ Get the Selection Tool or hit the keyboard shortcut letter (v) …
✓ … holding Alt - duplicate the line and drag it down a little.
Step #5: 3rd Line ~
✓ Duplicate a 3rd line in between …
✓ … and change the middle color to white.
Step #6: New Brush ~
✓ Open the Brushes palette …
✓ … select all of your strokes with the Selection Tool …
✓ … drag them into the brushes window …
✓ … and select Art Brush.
Step #7: Art Brush Options ~
✓ In the next dialog box, set your Colorization Method to Tints and Shades:
Step #8: Draw Roads ~
✓ Turn the layer visibility off so you can see your template and draw some roads with the Pencil Tool on your new layer …
✓ … with the line selected, click the new brush.
Step #8: Circles ~
✓ Get the Ellipse Tool or hit the keyboard shortcut letter (L) …
✓ … and draw a circle with different stroke and fill colors …
✓ … where the little towns and road junctions would be.
Step #9: Continue ~
✓ Continue outlinging the lakes and rivers and towns, everything you need - remember - you must have at least 3 tourist attractions listed on your map…
Last Step: Save and Attach ~
✓ Save your work as - FIRST_NAME_LAST_NAME_PROJECT_NAME.ai]
✓ Attach it!
• ALWAYS save your projects using the following naming convention:
• DO NOT name your project any other way - Improperly named projects will not receive credit and you will be sad.
• NEVER leave your work on the desktop or depend on a flash drive - instead, save your work in a folder you can find later - preferably on a virtual drive where it can be backed up.