Type on Path in Illustrator
● There are many kinds of shapes you can type on, not just circles.
✓ Sroke and Fill ✓ Type on Path Text Tool ✓ Text and Font
Other People's Work:
Here are examples of work inspired by this tutorial.
Step #1: Open your Project in Illustrator ~
✓ If you don't have your project started, begin your CD cover by opening this template : cd-cover-template.ai
Step #2: Stroke and Fill ~
✓ Set the Fill Color to …
✓ … leave the stroke color.
Step #3: Ellipse Tool ~
✓ Get the Ellipse Tool or hit the keyboard shortcut letter (L) …
✓ … and, holding Shift (⇧) while you drag, make a perfectly round circle.
Step #4: Type on Path Tool ~
✓ Get the Type on a Path Tool which looks like this:…
✓ … click on the line and type some text YOU CAN USE IN YOUR PROJECT.
Step #5: Find a Font that Matches your Project ~
✓ Go to http://www.dafont.com/ and search for a font that fits your project theme -
• If you want something that looks like Money, search for that. Get it?
Step #6: Download the Font ~
✓ When you find a font that matches your project, Right-Click and save the file to your desktop, or somewhere you can find it …
Step #7: Open Font Book ~
✓ Go to your Downloads (probably Window > Downloads), open it, and double-click on the .tff file(s) …
✓ … when Font Book opens, click Install Font.
Step #8: Change your Font ~
✓ Select all your text by hitting Cmd (⌘) +A or Highlight the text with the Text Tool …
✓ … then go to: Window > Type > Character and choose the Font Character you downloaded
✓ You can also change the size, type and other settings …
✓ Try different stuff! Experiment!
Step #9: Rainbow Effect ~
✓ Then go to: Type > Type on Path > Type on Path Options and hit Preview.
✓ Try some of the Effects and see what they do …
Step #10: Create Outlines ~
✓ Get the Selection Tool or hit the keyboard shortcut letter (v) …
✓ … go to: Type > Create Outlines …
✓ … or hit the keyboard shortcut:
✓ … but however you do it, be sure to ALWAYS create outlines of your text.
Last Step: Save and Attach ~
✓ Save your work as - FIRST_NAME_LAST_NAME_PROJECT_NAME.ai]
✓ Attach it!
• ALWAYS save your projects using the following naming convention:
• DO NOT name your project any other way - Improperly named projects will not receive credit and you will be sad.
• NEVER leave your work on the desktop or depend on a flash drive - instead, save your work in a folder you can find later - preferably on a virtual drive where it can be backed up.